6/18/05

Pixielated and updated

Pixies are often easier to believe in than pixels. I can see pixies if I just kind of squint, but pixels require reading camera and software instructions without the aid of a troll translator. The photos were grainy and pixelated because the camera has a digital zoom instead of an optical zoom reports the techno troll. Fortunately, an artsy fairy explained that digital zoom photos look like an elf worked all night to enlarge my photo onto gigantic graph paper, colored the enlargement in the squares with washable felt pens, then left the graph paper on a stone park bench to await the morning dew.

Whoa. I used to love sitting in the tree house and filling in the squares on sheets of graph paper with my first felt pens. That's why I like Lite Brite*, and the Color Game by Ted Naos.

I was fortunate to visit the "Color Pattern Grid" exhibit at the Austin Museum of Art in April, and I almost had to go buy graph paper.

I'm elated to report that I have Pixie Updates. First, the real title of the Highland Park sculptures is, "Frolicking Pixies". The bronze sculptures were created by sculptor Deran Wright, and given to the town by the Crow family. The sculptor specializes in trolls and other little folk, so click the link to his website. Second, I have some photos of the kids' fairyland mural.


GRATEFUL DEAD lyrics - "Morning Dew"
Walk me out in the morning dew my honey,
Walk me out in the morning dew today.
I'll walk you out in the morning dew my honey,
I guess it doesn't really matter anyway,
I guess it doesn't matter anyway,
I guess it doesn't matter anyway,
Guess it doesn't matter anyway.

*My retirement plan includes occasional days off from playing with Legos to play with Lite Brite.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...