6/5/05

My life in theatres, part one

This is the Joyo Theatre on Havelock Avenue in northeast Lincoln. It used to have special student discount movie prices on school nights in the Sixties. We didn't go to many movies there, since it was a long drive from our house. Guess that's why it stands out in my memory that we saw "Namu, the Killer Whale" there. We had waffles for an early supper, then got bundled into our parkas. Mom drove the '54 Chevy on the snowy streets over to the Joyo.

"Namu" didn't change my life, or anything. I didn't become a marine biologist. Years later, when I took some of my sons to see "Free Willy", I wondered why family movies had become so much more unfriendly to families and often inappropriate for children.

The Joyo is still open for business. It is the home of the Nebraska Independent Film Projects organization's "Middle of Nowhere Short Film Festival".

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...