6/21/05

Going Strapless, Stripeless

Fred MacMurray visited me in the fitting room yesterday while I tried on assorted white capri pants. The Son of Flubber was whispering whale blubbery insults in my ear.


The Dallas Museum of Art, in conjunction with Starbucks, presented Isaac Hayes in a free outdoor concert to celebrate the powerful exhibit of Gordon Parks' photographs. The huge crowd presented fabulous people- and fashion-watching opportunities. The clear bra straps quite visible on women around me snagged my attention, and sent me off on a reverie. Nothing perverse here, as I was pondering possible reuse options for plastic six-pack beverage holders. Think of all the aquatic animals who could be spared entanglement if the beverage rings were otherwise occupied hoisting up major buhZOOMS. The safety of otters is at stake here!


One of the inexpensive art reproductions hanging in our basement when I was a kid was similar to this Toulouse Lautrec painting. I used to worry, while I was supposed to be practicing the piano, how the woman kept her dress on. Being a skinny eight year-old, I had a lot of trouble just keeping my swimsuit straps on my shoulders. Still, when we attended the Shrine Circus, I was disappointed to learn that figure skaters and circus performers weren't really in danger of falling out of their costumes. It made their amazing feats seem far less amazing if they didn't have to keep their outfits on by sheer force of will.


Through the miracle of plastic bra straps, just about anyone can look like a circus performer. Through a different miracle, I was able to purchase an outfit that doesn't have stripes. A realio-trulio outfit all in white, and NO STRIPES.

I don't know how it happens. I go into a store to get a floral or solid top. I try lots of them on. But once I've checked out, I realize I've purchased something striped instead. I'm never sure at what point in the shopping mission my brain has been taken over by aliens switching remote control toggles from their spaceship. It's another magical mystery tour through Kohl's.

I suspect that our living room curtains during my very early childhood are the real mind controllers. The curtains were bleached muslin with horizontal stripes in the primary colors, gray, and black. Stripes were equated with the safety of home, so now my homing mechanism nearly always arrives at the stripes.

Please celebrate my stripeless accomplishment with me by playing the White Album. Enjoy, too, these interesting Images of Antartica taken by a blogger named Seth White. I hope I won't look like a walrus.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...