5/21/04

Terror of the Japanese Koi, rated PG-13

This morning I drove from Austin on down to the Marilyn Koogler McNay art museum in San Antonio. It is one of my favorite museums. Got there early enough to spend an hour walking around the estate grounds taking pictures, and watching brides have photos taken. One bride weighed at least 400 lbs. At one point the photographer had her walk on this 10" wide stone bridge to the little "island" in the middle of the lily pond. You can imagine the terror of the Japanese koi! Plus, the assistant carrying the hem of the dress had to somehow leap around the bride on the bridge to arrange the dress.

Really related to the special Richard Stankiewicz exhibit. Many of the found object assemblages were very witty. It's frustrating to me as an artist, a teacher, and a tourist when museum shops don't have postcards, posters, or pamphlets of items on exhibit. I had many ideas for sharing these works with my students, but the only book available cost $40 and had black and white images.

Drove home through the Hill Country to counteract driving down on I35. Highway 281 seems to refill my creative tank. At one point the driver of a Bronco behind me got his undies in a bunch, even though I was making VERY GOOD TIME. He sped around me, and had just pulled back into the lane when a turkey vulture soared down from heaven and collided with the Bronco. The big bird flipped and twirled back toward my car. I was able to weave over onto the shoulder, but it was a strange and elaborate visual experience with the black feathers all fanned out like a ceremonial headdress. Having just watched "Kill Bill" with Mike, there were certain cinematic parallels

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...