5/25/04

Girl Friends

In a strange new development, Mike and I have been considering Steven's girlfriend and his posse of friend-girls. This is kind of weird/inevitable in that I am acknowledging my sons as sexual beings (and trying to recall being one!). I am all in favor of the current girlfriend, and yet terrified at the possibilities of a prolonged teen relationship. Mike is in favor of Steven dumping the girlfriend for any of the friend-girls that are skinnier and "hotter". All these girls have been hanging out in the big herd social life for three or four years now, and have done many class projects together in my tiny living room. I like the ones who will talk to me adult to adult, and to Steven as an equal. I prefer the ones who are up on current events, and who aren't drama queens whining about guys. I like it when girls seem comfortable in their own skin, and with their own wonderful brains. I'm not totally opposed to the risk-takers. I like the girls with sparks in their eyes.

My generation worked for equal rights, but got bogged down in marriages that were still confining. I don't want that for my sons and their wives. I do want them to believe raising their children is the most important task they will ever face.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...