9/13/04

Truly Ugly Neckties

Came home from work today to find a bag of thrift store neckties on my doorstep. Some people would take that as a sign that a Mafia hit had been put out on them, or the condo homeowners association's self-appointed planetary overlord was highly displeased by the oil leaks in the parking lot. I had a rough day at work. My coworkers might have left the neckties as a symbol of my future noose should the electronic payroll transmission have been disrupted by my inadvertent logging on to the internet and bumping our bookkeeper off. Oops! If you don't hear from me, it will be because I'm swinging from the yardarm.

Went to a meeting about colleges with my son. Not to disrupt the presentation, I scooped around in my purse to find my phone, and turned it on to make sure it was turned off. Holy schmoly! I had two voice messages. The first message was an entertaining recording from the anonymous necktie donor wandering around my condo complex with a bag of unmarked neckties asking the residents about the location of my condo. The recording is so funny that I'm surprised no condo resident notified the police department bomb squad. "Hey, I've got these neckties. I'm in your complex. All the apartments look alike. You already knew that, but I've got these neckties. Do you live in 1703, 'cause I'm at 1703? I'll see if anyone knows....Hey! Do you know Nancy, the art teacher? I've got this bag of neckties and I....no, wait, I just want to leave these neckties. Do you know where she lives? No please, wait. Don't slam the door. I just want to find Nancy to give her these neckties... Yeah, some of them are really ugly, but some of them aren't so bad. I really thought they were nice, but my wife made me give them away...So do you know which apartment?"

And so, you ask, why would Anonymous leave a grocery bag of truly ugly neckties on an art teacher's doorstep? Because ugly neckties are sooooo coooool. My young students make the neckties into snakes and dragons. Sometimes my preteen students just decide to make weird fashion statements with my collection of neckties. Steven has photographed the most outstanding ties left on the doorstep. There are two I may need to keep! If you have neckties, there is probably an art teacher near you who could use them. And thanks for the good laugh!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...