9/10/04

I'm not a grandmother...

...but I play one on t.v. Well, not exactly, but I am older than the statistical average age of a first-time grandparent. I teach art to itty-bitty kids, and get enough hugs to have a hint about the joys of being a grandparent. I have sons who are 17, 19, and 22, so I keep my fingers crossed that I don't become a grandmother before I'm ready, but that is a different worry. I know lots of great picture books to read when I do become a grandmother, and I suspect sharing them will be one of my life's greatest joys.

I must look like a granny. One of my condo neighbors stopped me to say what a sweet grandson I have. I was somewhat stunned, to say the least, and couldn't really get out a response. Apparently, my seventeen-year-old knocked on her door to ask about the ding on her old car. He was afraid she thought he had done it. He does park his oil-leaking Batmobile next to her car, but he had not dinged it. Statistically, I am not old enough to be his average granny!

"What would happen if grandparents would vote the interests of their grandchildren who can't vote for themselves?"

I just read Ellen Goodman's op-ed about the Granny Voter project. The project asks all of us to think long-term when we go to the polls. Click here to read her op-ed piece, "Kids the secret to this granny's vote". What do enquiring Granny Voters want to know?

  • Will our grandchildren have a chance for decent jobs, good education and adequate healthcare?
  • Will our grandchildren live in a world of polluted air and water and disrupted climate?
  • Will our grandchildren carry a burden of debt for today's spending?
  • Will our grandchildren have the same rights we have today and be able to speak their minds openly and freely?
  • Will our grandchildren face rage and resentment created by the policies our government pursues?

For more information go to GrannyVoter.org. And just FYI, I am NOT planning to hide my gray hair. And yes, one of these days this blog will become CollageGrandma's Itty Bitty Blog!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...