9/7/04

Baby, you can wash my car

At the end of most preschool classes while kids are finishing their projects and washing hands we get out some building toys that are like straws and jacks. Once their hands are clean they can build. Of course, all the little boys make "guns". Last week (the first class), I told them they couldn't "shoot guns", but they could wash my car. "Where's your car? What color is it? Why is it dirty? My gun can shoot water! My gun can shoot soap! Sssshhhhwwwwsssshhhhssshhh!" I told them they could wash my car while I drove through the car wash in my chair. They were delighted, and managed to not poke my eye out with their car washing wands. So today, they were so charged about washing my car they could barely make it through the art project and the hand-washing. They were relieved when I told them I hadn't been able to wash my car because it rained. I convinced them that a car-washer has a handle and a spout. That means they connected the straws at right angles. This seems so basic to you and I that we can't ever remember not being able to do it, but to them it is new stuff. The water seems to shoot at a much higher pressure when the wand has a handle, judging from the sound effects. Some of them could connect more straws so their car-washers also shot out suds, or dried my car. Some shot out yellow suds for the tires, some shot pink suds for the doors, and the best builders could also spray wax my car. Suddenly, some little guys were on their backs on imaginary mechanic's creepers "fixing the brakes" with the "tools" they built, and were making loud sound effects for drilling and welding and heaven knows what. The little girls replaced the headlight bulbs, and were ready for me to give them my credit card. You could almost smell the 10W30.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...