9/19/04

Pink Giraffe

"Make mine a Shirley Temple, bartender."

I bet kids don't drink Shirley Temples in fancy restaurants and country clubs anymore. I've only had one student who knew about Shirley Temple and the Good Ship Lollipop. I'm sure none of my students have experienced the pure sugar rush of a candy cigarette. My Barbie had over-the-elbow gloves. Maurice Chevalier knew about the night they invented Shirley Temples. Thank heaven we little girls could pretend we were wearing over-the-elbow gloves as we munched our candy cigarettes, sipped our Shirley Temples, and said, "Dahling!" Try to imagine Carol Channing with black olives on all her fingers singing, "Olives are a girl's best friend." I never could decide if I looked more like Leslie Caron or Audrey Hepburn!

Did a very patchy job applying sunscreen before the one p.m. soccer game. I look ridiculous. My neck is lobster red striped with white due to my double chins-in-waiting. My arms look like pink giraffes. One foot is red, but the other is white. My legs are covered with bug bites. Reminds me of the old picture book, "You Look Ridiculous, Said the Rhinoceros to the Hippopotamus".

Should you be curious about making a Shirley Temple or a Roy Rogers for your little socialite, try this site: http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink8476.html

1 comment:

earth dog said...

I remember walking 4 blocks to the five and dime store...with a quarter (or possible 50 cents if I were rich). We would buy wax coke bottles, wax lips and candy necklaces...It was our jewelry, our lipstick and we would pretend we were posh!!

We'd be gone all day. Our parents never knew where we were but we always were home in time for dinner. And we never talked to strangers. There were no strangers in our town. I feel sorry for kids today!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...