9/1/04

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

"Blogging will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no blogging."

I'm an aging hippie. I've heard a lot of variations on that slogan. Sex, beer, pot, books, rock & roll, religion, pizza, guacamole... I am pleased to report that blogging really is getting me through times of little money in pretty sane shape. I'm sure there are psychological terms for this sort of displacement. If you were feeling grumpy you might even call it procrastination or obsession, but I won't get upset. I can't. I'm too busy with this creative energy flow. I can only allot so many minutes to worrying about this problem because, after all, I have a blog to care for.

Maybe that is what it is like to have a pet dog. I've never had one. Maybe you just can't worry right now because your dog needs to be walked, fed, or brushed. Is my blog really Snoopy? Maybe you need to take your blog out for a bit of blog frisbee in the park. So far, my blog doesn't make me sneeze or break out in hives.

An aquarium doesn't really compare with a blog. I have had aquariums. Once in awhile I do have to flush last night's blog entry when it floats belly-up in the cold gray light of dawn, but I've never had to use a siphon.

Blogging seems to be about being observant, staying in the moment, and sharing one's energy. Maybe blogging is prayer in the same way that a smile is a prayer. There are certainly many writers who claim writing is a right or a sacrament.

"I ask God to make me willing to see clearly my everday experiences, to sharpen my perception of how much there is to enjoy, even in ordinary things and happenings. Let me be receptive. Restore to me my capacity for wonder."
from One Day at a Time in Al-Anon.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...