6/7/04

Died & gone to heaven

Mind-boggling day at the Cotton Bowl for the Crossroads Guitar Festival. Ten hours of music, never mind the uncomfortable seats and cramped space! Larry Carlton, Pat Methany, John McLaughlin in a zen jam, Robert Cray, Jimmie Vaughan, a run to the porta-potties, Booker T & the MGs, Bo Diddley (WHO do you love?), a guy from Los Lobos, Joe Walsh, Vince Gill with Jerry Douglas on slide guitar, some awesome duo from India, James Taylor (disrespectfully upstaged by Joe Walsh), BB King (everyday & everyday I have the blues)....

...joined by Eric Clapton, Jimmie Vaughan, Buddy Guy, and eventually John Mayer. Taking turns. Jamming. Call & response for over an hour.

Then Santana. Carlos. I love you. Joined by EC. I love you. Then EC with Doyle Bramhall II doing Robert Johnson songs. Busting loose with "I Shot the Sheriff", "Have You Ever Loved a Woman", "Badge", "Layla", "Wonderful Tonight", and "Cocaine".
EC & Jeff Beck jamming.

The weather is getting weird. Lots of lightning. ZZTop comes on, but I am still so wowed by "I Shot the Sheriff" that I can barely inhale. And should I ever catch my breath, there's a pervasive whafting of ..

Called my parents after work today. I was worried that they would be worried because I didn't call all weekend. My dad informed me I misspelled Slowhand's name. "There's an M before the P," he says. It's Clampton. Eric Clampton.

Did I mention that my dad's ship came in. All my life I've heard the expression, "When my ship comes in". Well, Howie, come on down(!) You've won the Miller Genuine Draft drawing at the
Hi-V grocery store. You've won the portable Weber tailgate gas grill and the hundred dollar beef shopping spree!

Dad. Dude. Jed was on the Beverly Hillbillies. Dude. Peace. And Alleve for old ladies the next day.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...