10/2/04

Royal pain in the glass

I have a visual memory of Humphrey Bogart riding in an elevator with a crisscross lattice door. I'm in search of that cinematic source. Okay, I'm not searching very hard, but I did decide to reserve the Bogart movies from the public library just for fun. I've seen "Casablanca", "Maltese Falcon", and "African Queen" several times, of course. I've seen the "Caine Mutiny" and "Treasure of the Sierra Madre", but it's been a really long time. I'd never seen "Sabrina" until today. It was the first of my library reserves to become available.

This hasn't been a stellar weekend except that my mom got to go home from the hospital after two weeks. My computer was attacked by a terrible case of chicken pop-ups, small pop-ups, swine, monkey, and avian pop-ups. I had to guide it through a traumatic psychic rebirthing experience known as system restore, and then reinstall and reset EVERYTHING. Now I'm teaching it to ride a bicycle with training wheels and taking lots of Polaroids. They're so cute when they're little!

When Steven jumped into his Batmobile to zoom to work at 8:45 a.m., he found the passenger window bashed in, and his CD player stolen AGAIN. I actually went out in the condo parking lot in my jammies (a first in 7 1/2 years) to help him swear and listen to him rant about getting a shotgun. Ranting in this case is healthy. Shotguns are never healthy, but I understood the feeling. A police occifer straight off "The Simpsons" arrived and took down just the facts, ma'am. He didn't actually take fingerprints or anything. Steven drove my car to work, and I spent the morning trying to clean up the glass and talking to neighbors.

In about 1976, my parents went out to Colorado to pick up my brother from Rocky Ridge Music Camp. My sister and I stayed home since we were very mature and employed. One night the tv screen just shattered and fell out on the living room carpet in a bizarre glass avalanche while we were asleep. It's amazing what a heap of "snow and ice" the glass of one front passenger-side window or one tv screen can make. The glass shards today were all over the car, down inside the door, down inside the seats, and sprayed all over three parking spaces.

In the mid-Nineties my oldest son had to make a "project" about a symbol of Texas history. Apparently the middle school teacher's expectations were of the toilet paper tube cannon or covered wagon shoebox variety. Being uninitiated, Jeff made a 2'x3' mosaic of the Alamo using stones, shells, broken tiles, and automobile glass that I carefully scavenged from the site of a fender bender on our street. The history teacher gave the project a B, and commented that it was "almost like art". Jeff was insulted and I was disgusted. We ranted, but shotguns weren't mentioned. I really liked the mosaic sky made of the auto glass shards. We still have the Alamo mosaic.

Today I managed to refrain from collecting the broken glass for future art projects. I'm getting so healthy I can even throw away the occasional toilet paper tube, which is a major feat for an art teacher. More on this topic later!

When the auto glass repair team arrived to replace the car window, they couldn't get the door unlocked for at least half an hour. After my clean-up efforts I had locked the car door, even though the window was wide open. Oops. Once they got the door open with a slim jim, things didn't get much easier. When the Bad Guy(s) popped the window, they managed to break the connectors that hold the window in place. We have to get those connectors from the Nissan dealer, and it is five o'clock on Saturday... So now we have a new Batmobile window, but it's held in place with tape. At least I got to keep the corrugated cardboard portfolio with handle that the window glass came in!

To complete the day, I enjoyed watching William Holden sit down on two champagne glasses, and have the glass shards removed from his posterior in black and white. I enjoyed "Sabrina" very much, even if Bogie didn't ride in the right elevator. My brunette bouffant Barbie had Audrey's Sabrina evening gown!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...