10/25/04

The Days Were Just Packed

Life just hasn't been the same without Calvin and Hobbes. Sure, I have comic strips I follow, but there are so many days when I could use a trip in the transmogrifier, or a laser battle with Spaceman Spiff.

My weekend was just packed by my standards. I am accustomed to a max of one notation per day in my DayTimer. Preferably, that notation is for an event before noon, so I can check it off my list and take my shoes off ASAP. So it was strangely peculiar, as my old friend, Papenfuss, used to say, that I would flip through "The Guide" in Friday's Dallas Morning News, and rush to buy a ticket for the Dallas Theater Center's production of "The Importance of Being Earnest".


Deep down I must have known I needed quality laugh therapy. You just can't beat cucumber sandwiches for handling that appetite. My oldest son once played Algernon in a middle school production of "Earnest". Nowadays he is Bunburying in grad school at Indiana-Bloomington. I am remembering his director, Laith M. Radif, a wonderful teacher, muse, and friend lost to AIDS in December 1997.

The last time I went to the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Kalita Humphries Theater I had just finished kindergarten. Now I am forty-nine and a half. I wondered if I would have a sense of deja vu all over again. As I took the cramped stairway down to the restrooms it all flashed before my eyes. The red tile in the bathrooms, the feeling of being inside a nautilus, even the rain outside seemed the same.

The weekend was also packed with soccer, volunteering at a Whiz Quiz tournament, and taking photos of the homecoming couple. It was a great, packed weekend. I just need an empty one to catch up now.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...