10/14/04

Corduroy

Capistrano has the swallows. Oklahoma has the scissortail fly-catchers. Nebraska has forsythia bushes and pussywillows.


In Dallas I look for signs that fall is returning even if it brings the dadgum ragweed pollen. North Texas has about two days of classic fall weather each year. You have to pay attention so you don't miss them. Since shorts weather goes from Valentine's Day to Thanksgiving some years, I was delighted to spot the first corduroy of the season today. It's not even Halloween yet, so this is very encouraging. I saw a Longhorn orange long-sleeved corduroy shirt and a yellow corduroy mini-skirt with hot pink "Smiley Face" tights and groovy pink patent leather Mary Janes in my preschool class this afternoon. I haven't been so excited since that time I saw the Painted Bunting down at Enchanted Rock State Park.

Preschool teachers love the official switch to long pants for students. Shorts season is very long here, and provides children of all genders many opportunities for self-exploration. There are those two days of classic fall weather. Blink. Tedious pseudo-winter will kick in before we know it. Then preschool nasal mining operations shift into high gear.

There's a shortage of flu vaccine. Still, the best prevention is frequent and thorough hand-washing. Hanging out with kids makes me wash my hands a hundred times a day. Ewww.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...