10/23/04

Homecoming Kodak Moment

Steven and his date posed in front of the clean and shiny Batmobile. They strategically positioned themselves in front of the dent, so it wouldn't detract from the effect of the way-cool Z car. The wrist corsage of white roses looked lovely, just so you know he actually did order it in between lunches. They are now off to dinner at PF Chang in a group of five couples.

Jason, of the lunch gang, is off to homecoming in a different group of couples where all the girls are named Sarah. I've always suspected that half the girls born in 1987 were named Sarah. Baby names intrigue me, partly because I teach small kiddies and have to write their names on art projects. This year I am overwhelmed with Isabels and Isabellas. Jack is the most common boy name in my upper-class Caucasian student set. Sometimes I have three Jacks in a class of 24 kids.

My own name was in the top ten during the 1940's and '50's. There are only a handful of Nancy's born after the mid-60's. I wonder if it will ever come back into style. In my first grade class of thirty kids there were five Nancy's, so we had to use our middle names. There were a lot of Bobby's, Julie's, Debbie's, Mike's, and Carol's too. I always worry how it will affect a child when teachers have to modify his/her name. I became Nancy Lou in 1960. Would I have grown up more graceful and romantic if I had become Nancy Louise?

Steven's date had a classy, slightly retro black satin dress for the dance. The trim was a shade of pink I can only describe as Baskin Robbins Cold Duck Ice. Slam me back to 1972!

By the way, when Steven went to the Z Car Club meeting Wednesday he won a door prize. I am wondering when he will get around to reading it:

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...