10/9/04

Reader discretion advised

This entry contains some material that may be inappropriate for younger readers. PG-13


Friday was just excellent. It was the sort of day that should really be "put on your permanent record" instead of the things we always worried were recorded there. Spent the morning at Janie's farm watching the goats, her persimmon-eating pig, and cats wrestling on top of the pool table. After sipping tea with gluten-free brownies, we put on boots to go out in the mud to pick gourds. My big feet had to wear her husband's boots, but they were lost inside them. I walked just like the preschoolers who come to class in big brother's footgear. Janie sat down on the seat of the miniature tractor without noticing the puddle, so the two of us looked like characters from Mayberry.

Major mud and laugh therapy was good for both of us. It's great to know the spirit stays the same when the hair, eyebrows, and eyelashes are lost to chemo. We didn't talk about her ordeal. I admired the way Janie's getting more "crusty". She stands up for herself and seems stronger in some ways than I have ever seen her.

We loaded the Buick trunk with birdhouse gourds to finish drying in my shed. Eventually my students can paint them (and we can play Shaman-For-A-Day) if I can bear to share the fun. As I was unloading the gourds my Wagnerholic lesbian masseuse neighbor walked over to ask what they were. I explained in detail. She responded, "Well, they would make good mammary implants." Yikes!

Since I was so muddy, I put on my swimsuit before I rushed to the aquatic center. Did my short, faster swim instead of my relaxed lengthy swim. After my shower, I discovered I had clean clothes in my bag, but I'd forgotten unmentionables. Terrified two petite Chinese-speaking ladies when I tried to squirm my damp, middle-aged Rubenesque bod into jeans without...They ran screaming from the locker room like extras from the original "Godzilla". Perhaps some blog surfer will find this entry by searching "warm", "moist", "tight", and "bouncing". I am sorry to report that "slippery" was not an applicable adjective.

This is Border's Book Store's "Educator Appreciation Weekend"so I went for the 25% discounts. Good coffee, total zone-out browsing, a chair massage, and a discount on Curious George and Paul Fleischman's Weslandia. What more could a gal want??? Well, she wanted this, too, so she treated herself:


Maria Muldaur's Richland Woman Blues cd is a collection of historic blues songs from the 1920's-1930's. The songs were created by Memphis Minnie, Bessie Smith, Mississippi John Hurt, and Leadbelly, among others. Bonnie Raitt, John Sebastion, Dave Mathews, and other musicians join Maria.

Here's a link to Mississippi John Hurt's lyrics:
http://www.harptab.com/lyrics/ly4539.shtml

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...