1/10/12

The hero or the goat




You blog long enough and you eventually write about goats.  Yesterday on a whim I pinned my mother's silver goat pin on my shirt, just thinking the preschoolers might like it.  Plus, teaching preschool is a whole lot like herding goats or cats or turtles on a rainy Monday.


The children were entirely too busy smearing snozz on every surface to notice my goat pin.  By naptime I was sooo glad to sit in the dark room and listen to the gurgles and snurgles of wee noses accompanied by one of our favorite/effective nap cds.  Gather Round is a Starbucks recording that includes Willie Nelson singing "I'm My Own Grandpa".  Trying to sort out the family relations in this song always makes my brain drowsy.

Speaking of family relations, I am still trying to make the decision to move my dad into a double room.  "Good grief! How did I ever get into this?"  I ask this question every time I have to deal with Dad's finances, feeling like Charlie Brown standing out on the pitching mound in the downpour.  Will I be the hero or the goat?  I'd be glad just to not be the troll under the bridge.


But back to goats, I've temporarily lost my copy of Gregory the Terrible Eater.  Gregory is an average goat except he doesn't like to eat tin cans.  Gregory would be a model recycler.  He could even advise the condo complex residents about proper recycling practices.




Spell Check has been giving me grief about my spelling of "advisor".  My eldest son has been a college adviser/advisor for several years, and he explains that institutions of higher learning make their own spelling rules for this matter.  My Big Red Dictionary reminds me that advice is a noun and advise is a verb.  Good grief!  It seems to be a vulgar transitory desiderative with past participles:


Go placidly amid the noise and haste and remember these items should not be placed in your condo recycling carts:


  • paint cans
  • rubber welcome mats
  • greasy Kentucky Fried Chicken leftovers.  Ewwww!
  • Styrofoam cups, egg cartons, and packing "peanuts"
  • dirty furnace filters
  • moldy, disintegrating carpet padding
  • ugly chandeliers
  • pet poop
  • light bulbs
  • curtain rods
  • documents that included credit card and Social Security numbers.  Oops!
  • clothes and toys
  • wire hangers
  • dead houseplants
  • bamboo wind chimes
  • hundred dollar bills
Let the goat eat them instead.  (And that goat is a classic Provensen illustration for The Color Kittens. It convinced me for a dozen years of childhood that goats really ate tin cans and ONLY tin cans.)



© 2011 Nancy L. Ruder

2 comments:

Kim said...

Perhaps Advicor is the right word...though that sounds like a medication to reduce cholestrol.

JMT said...

Definitely the hero.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...