3/29/05

You Nork, You Nork

Two of my preschoolers just returned from a trip to see the "Yifull Tower". I didn't know they had been in France, because they told me before spring break that they were going to Africa. Maybe they went to Africa AND France. On the way home, they saw the Statue of Liverdy in You Nork.


"New York, New York" is a song from the 1946 musical On the Town, which has music by Leonard Bernstein, and lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green. The first line of this song is, "New York, New York, it's a hell of a town: the Bronx is up and the Battery's down." My teen-in-residence, being a self-assured third child, is into Frank Sinatra. Frank was confused, and didn't know about You Nork.

On my drive to work I pass a shop with a banner proclaiming, "Cigarettes Discount/Open Sunadays". I would like to work Sunadays, and stay home Uddadays. This shop is in the same neighborhood as the classic "Wok Bueno" restaurant.

Another student told me his friend was on a trip to "Princess". Turned out she was in Paris, France. If you pick up Paris, France with Silly Putty, then twist it a bit, you do get "Princess". I hope that young student will visit the Yifull Tower while she's in Princess. Being an art teacher, I wonder how one might make Georges Pompidou out of pipe cleaners and pom-pons.

(Composition of Silly Putty 65% - Dimethyl Siloxane 17% - Silica 9% - Thixotrol ST 4% - Polydimethylsiloxane 1% - Decamethyl cyclopentasiloxane 1% - Glycerine 1% - Titanium Dioxide )

Two boys were not to be outdone by the girl transatlantic travelers. They had ridden on the "D.A.R.K. Train" over spring break. So much of Dallas city government and rapid transit is frightening, but I'd never actually considered the eerie Halloween possibilities. [I do wonder why the DART Rail can't have easy tickets and fares like the D.C. Metro.] And besides, what about the D.A.R.T.H. Rail options at warp speed? I see the Wookiee singing with Sinatra...


"The Battery's down" always reminds me of my brother's Dodge Dart the year he was doing his student teaching at a rural school. Many sub-zero mornings the Dart's battery was down.

FYI: Finding Nemo underpants are no longer as newsworthy as Bob the Builder briefs for the 3-5 yr. old male demographic. Spiderman waterproof band-aids are the ultimate!
Nanu nanu, You Nork.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...