3/7/05

Puffy Shirts



I don't get out much. I've been Wendy for a long time now, taking care of little boys, reading stories, making pockets, and sewing shadows. Most of my boys can fly now, and they are growing up, unlike Peter Pan.

I have a great fondness for pirates, and a huge dislike for brussel sprouts. One year when the Mary Martin/Cyril Richard stage version of "Peter Pan" was being shown on t.v., I couldn't choke down the brussel sprouts at supper. In a rare moment of vegetable aggressive action, my parents told me I had to eat the slimy sprouts before I could watch my absolute favorite show. I know it is difficult to imagine a time when one couldn't just pop a recording into the DVD player, possibly while driving across town to Gymboree, but this was a difficult and primitive era! We could see "Peter Pan" once a year ONLY by hovering near our tiny black and white t.v.

The colder the brussel sprouts on my plate got, the less possible it was to chew and swallow the repulsive things. Somehow I got the dreadful job done, but I could probably spend a couple years in therapy just on the long-term ramifications of the experience.

So, after attending a splendid play performed in the round last weekend, when a friend took me to a nearby sports bar, it was a trip to Never-Never Land (it's not on any chart; you must find it with your heart). Suddenly I was not grown up! Then I couldn't believe my eyes when a guy dressed up as Captain Morgan began visiting the tables to promote spiced rum. Oh my gosh! I don't like rum, but I sure want a Captain Morgan costume to use at work. Puffy shirt! Puffy pantaloons! Tall boots! Big hat! Red coat!

Somewhere out there is a person who knows where Captain Morgan costumes go when they get too worn out. Contact me, please. I want one!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...