3/7/05

Credit card frogs



I was awakened by an automated phone call from a "Credit Card Fraud Early Warning System". The first thing it asked me for was my social security number, so I hung up. Thought it might be some sort of scam to get that information. So I called the 800# on the back of my card, said "help" instead of going through the menu, and got a real live human. Explained my concern, and she put me through to the Fraud Department. I explained my question to the Fraud Department lady, only I couldn't manage to say "fraud" because I hadn't had any coffee yet. It kept coming out "frog". She said she would prefer to be working in the Credit Card Frog Department this Monday morning. Anyway, she verified that I had indeed made three transactions with my card yesterday, none of which were major purchases. It was rather reassuring to me that there is an early warning system for frogs, and that it is triggered with only these very small transactions, and not a million dollars in luxury items run up by a real frog scheme.

The whole concept of frogs with credit cards is frightening, and should be addressed at the highest levels of government. Can you just imagine if they all go to the shopping center when the mall walkers are out exercising? Who will scrape that mess off my shoes?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...