3/1/05

Look away, look away!

This is a sad day. I just took an online dialect quiz that purports to tell if you are Yankee or Dixie. The results were so upsetting that I took the quiz five times. On a scale of zero percent being Yankee to one hundred percent being Dixie, I scored in Dixie territory four times, and barely in Yankee territory once.

When we moved to the Lone Star State in 1990 my biggest concern was that my children would grow up talking Texan instead of speaking real Nebraskan English the way God Herself intended.

In Texas people call all pop "Coke". You would think since Dr. Pepper was created in Waco they would call all pop "D.P."

Which reminds me of a day spent home from school with strep throat in the mid-Sixties. My mom let me watch tv while I sipped Ginger Ale, so I must have been pretty darn sick. I watched an old Bing Crosby movie on our little black & white. Bing sang "Dixie", and he also set a building or tent on fire with his pipe. Does anybody know what movie that was?

Bing Crosby was most intriguing to me because he had those cherries named after him. He must have been mighty important. On a summer evening we would sit on the top of the carport fence eating Bing's cherries, spitting the pits, and singing, "Buh-buh-bah-boo".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took the dialect quiz; that was fun. 68% Dixie!!

Anonymous said...

47% Barely yankee!
Found it interesting that most of my responses were common to the whole US or the Great Lakes area. Since I've lived many places but am originally from the Great Lakes area, that makes sense. Carole

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...