11/19/04

Cabbage

After reading a review in the Dallas Morning News about the Fort Worth Opera's production of "Salome", I went on about my assorted tasks of a weekend morning. Suddenly I realized I was remembering my mom fixing salami and cheese sandwiches on toast with lettuce, French's mustard, and maybe tomato with Weaver's potato chips on the side for Saturday lunches when I was a kid. Dad would be home, and we would all sit around in the living room watching the little black and white t.v. We might watch baseball or football, possibly bowling, the local station's talent round-up, or roller derby.

Next thing you know, I was trying to remember the name of a tavern in Omaha that had a really outstanding corned beef sandwich on St. Patrick's Day in the early Eighties. If I remember it, I will have to write it on a little piece of paper to put in the bathroom insomnia drawer. We used to go there to watch baseball pennant race games. It's not all that surprising that I can't remember. It was so far back Nolan Ryan was pitching in a Houston Astros uniform with those rainbow stripes that looked like seventh grade Home Ec. class Jello parfaits.


I'll add to this soon, but maybe someone out there will have a hopeful memory jogger, and leave a comment. Here's a site about Nebraska taverns and Midwest music venues.

And that's all for this Friday's Sandwich Report.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...