1/8/06

Wauk This Way?

I have often walked down this street before,
But the pavement always stayed beneath my feet before.
All at once am I several stories high.
Knowing I'm on the street where you live.

Freddie Eynsford-Hill in My Fair Lady

Perhaps that street is Camp Bowie Boulevard in Fort Worth. Went with my youngest for a terrific afternoon of art in Fort Worth's Cultural District. He needed to see the Richard Avedon exhibit at the Amon Carter Museum, and I wanted to see the "Lost Impressionist" exhibit at the Kimbell Museum.

I used to get twinkly stars on my school spelling tests, but I have great difficulty with three of my favorite artists. Paul Gauguin is surprisingly h-less. Wayne Thiebaud has burned his l. Richard Diebenkorn surprises me by being more staightforward and simple than I expect after dealing with Wayne and Paul.



This painting from the Kimbell Gauguin show reminded me of excellent exhibits at the old Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth up the hill on Camp Bowie. I got to share a wonderful Richard Diebenkorn exhibit with my parents and children in 1998. The 2001 Wayne Thiebaud retrospective there was another treat, although I had seen a 1988 Thiebaud exhibit at Museum of Art, Oklahoma University.






Roads over the hill and down in the valley we go...
a strenuous hike if the pavement won't stay beneath your feet!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...