1/28/06

Further evidence of the impending apocalypse

Albertsons no longer carries Wheat Chex cereal. There aren't enough mamas making darn good Kriss Kringle Krunch now that an expensive inferior ready-made Chex Mix product is widely available. I pick up containers of mixed nuts, cashew halves, and dry roasted peanuts.



There's no substitute for Wheat Chex. Albertsons and Kroger both have generic pretzels, cheerios, rice chex, and corn chex. Albertsons has no Wheat Chex whatsoever. At Kroger it takes a private detective to track some down.

I'm thinking of hoarding the Wheat Chex I found at Kroger. I have an extra bedroom where I could stockpile about a thousand boxes.

Got a new bottle of Worchestershire sauce, plenty of garlic salt and Lawry's seasoned salt. I stir lots of other seasonings into the melted oleo...Tabasco sauce, dried parsley, dried cumin, dried cilantro, paprika, cayenne. There's no recipe beyond the notes of my great aunt Emma. I just throw everything into the roasting pans and bake it at 250 for three hours, stirring every half hour. Then I turn off the oven and leave the pans inside until morning.

Some families give extravagant gifts. Other do excessive hugging. My sons and father know that I love them because I mail them packages of the world's greatest Kris Kringle Krunch throughout the football season, and whenever I miss them. It's going in the mail Monday morning, guys!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...