1/22/06

Things that go beep in the night

About a month back I decided I was going crazy. This time for real. I was waking up in the night hearing small electronic beeps. Or really just one beep. At a time. At a wake-up.

The beep was soft, but it was IN MY ROOM, and nearly every night, like a cricket working for the KGB. Was it Dick Cheney and HRH The Dubster doing a bit of illegal spying on Cream of Wheat/Nick At Nite Democrats? Or was it some diggity dog instant message thing caused by having college student sons home for the holidays sharing my computer?

Worse! What if it was endobeepia? What if I was hearing beeps that weren't really there? Just learned about endomusia, the hearing of music that is not really there. Are they coming to take me away?

They're coming to take me away, Ha-ha
They're coming to take me away, Ho-hoHee-hee-haa-haa
To the funny farm
Where life is beautiful all the time
And I'll be happy to see those
Nice young men in their clean white coats and
They're coming to take me away, ha-ha!

No, thank heaven. I switched from Norton Antivirus to McAfee Antivirus in December. McAfee's default settings include beeps and bonks when updates are available--usually in the middle of the night. I can change the defaults, and turn off the beeps. Now if I could just get rid of the Cheney cricket KGB images.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...