1/13/06

Getting a Handel on things

Dallas Opera's next production is a Baroque opera, "Rodelinda". I'm listening to a 1959 recording of Joan Sutherland, and wondering where I might get a powdered wig to wear to opening night. King of Kings, and Lord of Lords! This will be a very different experience than either of the operas I attended last weekend.

"Rodelinda" premiered in 1725. Poulenc's "Dialogues des Carmelites" debuted in 1957. Richard Strauss's "Ariadne auf Naxos" in 1912.

Attending Fort Worth Opera's "Dialogues des Carmelites" in the elegant Bass Recital Hall was the goal I set for myself last winter. Based on an historical event during France's Reign of Terror, the opera examines faith, fear, and commitment. Fort Worth's production was an achievement in form--mindful setting, mindful lighting, mindful action, mindful voices.

Dallas Opera's "Ariadne" had some nice moments, but won't be on any top ten lists. My experience would have been enhanced by a luxury automobile on display outside Fair Park's Music Hall!

I've made powdered wigs for elementary students out of quilt batting, toilet paper tubes, and shower caps. I've made young Baroque courtier hair out of shredded "suntan" pantyhose. I've even made bicolor tights for Montagues and Capulets. Tomorrow I'm taking the easy way out. I'm having another perm. My look has gone from buoyant fluff to hungover Oscar Wilde in the blink of an eye. Hope this perm will be something to sing about.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...