1/30/06

If it's too loud, you're too old

Roll me on over to the shoulder of the road, and text-message right on past. I'm history now, part of an era to be studied in Music 217: Rock and Related Music.

I can see me and the rest of my generation relegated to two pages in the high school American History textbook (without a doubt full of misspellings), and maybe a 1.5" square black and white photo of Woodstock in a sidebar.

People try to put us d-down (bloggin’ ’bout my generation)
People try to put us d-down (bloggin’ ’bout my generation)
Just because we get frustrated text-messaging around (e-mailin’ ’bout my generation)

How do I know I'm history? Composing a text message one sentence long takes fifteen minutes and makes me really grumpy. My friends never check the text message mailbox on their cellphones anyway because the thought just never occurred to them. We all have enough trouble pushing the teeny tiny buttons to make a call squinting through our bifocals. If it's too difficult, you're too old!

Busted flat in Baton Rouge, waitin' for a train
And I's feelin' near as faded as my jeans
Bobby thumbed a diesel down just before it rained
It rode us all the way into New Orleans
I pulled my Nokia out of my dirty red bandana
I's text-messagin' soft while Bobby sang the blues, yeah
Windshield wipers slappin' time,
I's holdin' Bobby's hand in mine
We sang every song that driver knew, yeah
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose
Nothin' don't mean nothin' hon' if it ain't free, no no
And feelin' good was easy, Lord, when he sang the blues
You know, feelin' good was good enough for me
Good enough for me and my Bobby McGee

ME & BOBBY MCGEE
Words and music by Kris Kristofferson
Popularized by Roger Miller in 1969 (#12 Country hit)
Lyrics as recorded by Janis Joplin on the 1971 album "Pearl" (Columbia VCK-30322)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...