5/29/05

Winspear Opera House

Now that I have some grown-up clothes, I like to do the occasional grown-up outing. I like the outing to be free to the public, but reservations requested. It was quite splendid that the schematic designs for the Winspear Opera House in the Dallas Center for the Performing Arts were being unveiled in the Horchow Auditorium of the Dallas Museum of Art on Friday morning during my break before summer sessions begin. Have chartreuse dressy sandals, will travel! Since I bought these sandals to wear to a wedding, I have to wear them A LOT to justify the purchase.



The Dallas Arts District already includes the Dallas Museum of Art, the Nasher Sculpture Garden, the Crow Collection of Asian Art, the Meyerson Symphony Center, the Annette Strauss Artists' Square outdoor festival area, and the Booker T. Washington Magnet School for the Performing Arts. Before this decade is out, it will add the Winspear Opera House, the Wyly Theatre Center, a completely renovated Magnet School campus, and the City Performance Hall. If I visit all of them wearing my chartreuse and black sandals, the purchase will be justified. Never mind that the sandals aren't really very comfortable, or that chartreuse will soon fade as the accent color of the moment.

I loved getting up close to ponder the architect's models for the Arts District, the Flora Street area, and the Opera House. The models were made with natural wooden geometric forms, like the blocks we had growing up.

I thoroughly enjoyed Spencer de Grey's presentation about the proposed and amended Opera House design, its energy efficient aspects, historical inspirations, acoustic considerations, CAD simulations, and other Foster and Partners' projects with solar canopies.


The traffic and pedestrian flow aspects of the design need some serious reworking. I'm suggesting that a mom who has spent eighteen years in the Pickov Andropov lanes at public schools could give the folks at Foster & Partners some practical advice.

My consulting fees are quite reasonable, and my sandals are up for the task!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...