5/6/05

Tangled up in blue



The Friday Lunch Gang helped me fill my youngest's bedroom with blue balloons this noon. I fed them even though my son couldn't be there for lunch. Actually, that worked perfectly. They didn't feel silly doing their ravenous locusts routine since they were helping me inflate fifty giant balloons and hanging five hundred blue Christmas lights. A dearly demented friend gave me the blue lights for my birthday because she knew they were my favorites. I didn't want to wait until Christmas to use them.

I had a snack of microwave nachos with cheddar cheese not long after blowing up at least fifteen balloons. That is a peculiarly lingering combination. During the Clinton administration I used to be an ice cream volunteer lady in the middle school cafeteria twice a month.* Several times I watched boys squirt entire cans of CheezWhiz straight into their mouths for lunch. I bet it was a similarly lingering experience.

*FYI: Cookies'n'cream ice cream sandwiches were the most popular. Today I served Mooo Bars instead. Once read a novel by John Updike called Memories of the Ford Administration. For some reason, my memories are starting to glump into four-year chunks. I wonder what frozen novelty each president preferred. And what Bob Dylan likes best...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...