5/25/05

Make a new plan, Stan!

Hop on the bus, Gus!*

My brother-in-law has an expression about being ready to gnaw off his left arm if he doesn't get out of a church service or meeting soon. I certainly felt ready to gnaw off my left arm during the graduation ceremony for the 1112 members of the high school class of 2005 yesterday afternoon.

The ceremony was held at Reunion Arena in downtown Dallas where the Mavericks and Stars used to play. Graduation for my middle son two years ago was held there also. My oldest graduated in the sweltering Texas Stadium (where the Cowboys still play) with the class of 2000, one of the largest graduating classes ever in Texas. That "graduation from hell" is legendary in these parts, as is the incredible traffic jam that followed the ceremony. After that hours long jam, I vowed I would never drive to a graduation again.



We went down to Reunion Arena on the bus from the senior high, which was fine. Riding the bus to and from Reunion in 2003 went fine. This time it took two full hours to get back to the senior high after the mind-numbing ceremony. Big wreck under the High Five at rush hour, but our bus driver didn't know any other way back to Plano. We finally got off "Central" 75 with the help of another bus driver herding our bus along like a stubborn dogey, but by then the alternate routes were also big jams. It was exhausting. The air conditioner wasn't cooling, passengers were sweating, fanning themselves, snoring, talking loudly, or listening to all the stomachs growl as we inched along. Worst, the situation was out of our control. In our own cars, we could battle the frustration by taking action, pitting our wits against the Evil Traffic Beast. On the bus we were just starving passengers in pinching dress shoes who hadn't eaten since breakfast. In a moment of supreme maternal sacrifice, I gave my graduate the only Starburst in the bottom of my purse. That's all the pomp I could muster under the circumstances.



I work near the High Five construction for the 75-635 Interchange. I am really quite fond of driving through the interchange and noting the progress. I'm still the structural engineer's daughter! I am amazed that such an enormous and complex undertaking is proceding as smoothly as it is, and ahead of schedule, too. I just discovered that I can view webcams facing each direction of the interchange. Take a look. Squint hard and you can see the bus. I'm the one waving out the window!

Slip out the back Jack
Make a new plan Stan
Don't need to be coy Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus Gus
Don't need to discuss much
Just drop of the key Lee
And get yourself free


*Paul Simon's Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...