1/27/11

My Mondrian Moment


Since my homeward commute now includes a stop to visit Dad, a long traffic light wait at Coit and Frankford Roads is a regular feature.  Birds own every tree, light pole, power wire and most of the ground at this major intersection.  I particularly like the way they top this willow tree each dusk.    

My parents were fond of Piet Mondrian's geometric abstractions like "Broadway Boogie Woogie," so I grew up with those images.  When I moved to Dallas I saw Mondrian's tree and windmill abstractions, and much prefer them.  The Dallas Museum of Art had a huge Mondrian exhibit in the autumn of 2001. 

My way-home willow also fits with my current reading, Clara and Mr. Tiffany, by Susan Vreeland.  Halfway through the novel I am frustrated with the storyline, but intrigued by the descriptions of the glass-making factory and the process of making Tiffany's leaded windows.  The Dallas Museum of Art had a fabulous Louis Comfort Tiffany exhibit I got to share with the Woolly Mammoth.  How would Clara and her crew of women make a glass window if Louis Comfort Tiffany saw my willow tree?

Mondrian: The Transatlantic Paintings, Dallas Collects, Color in Space, America Responds, August 19–November 25, 2001

Louis Comfort Tiffany: Artist for the Ages, May 28, 2006 through September 3, 2006






© 2011 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...