1/16/11

Miss Nebraska dreams of Jeannie

Staying power is what it's all about.  Keep cashing those royalty checks.

Last night a seventeen year old from Nebraska was crowned Miss America.  Last time I watched a beauty contest Bert Parks was still singing.  Will we remember the name of the 2011 winner in forty or fifty years?  Not likely unless they rename "O" Street in her honor!

Every single noon the woman across the hall from Dad watches a TVLand "I Dream of Jeannie" marathon four episodes with Barbara Eden and Larry Hagman.  Every supper hour the resident in the room next to Dad's watches "All In the Family" with Jean Stapleton's shrill rendition of "Those Were the Days".  

Most evenings I get home, unload my lunchbox containers into the dishwasher, and hit the start button for the cd player.  Verdi's Nabucco wipes out the audio of Jean and Jeannie. 

© 2011 Nancy L. Ruder

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

I went to Stephen Foster grade school, so "I dream of Jeannie with the light brown hair..."

Collagemama said...

That would be brown with two syllables.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...