1/11/11

Guilt trip through the galaxy averted


Dad wasn't happy to have his picture taken, and underwhelmed about the tater tots, but otherwise looks better than he has in four days. It was nice to find him out of bed and kidding around with Penelope, the aide. This was a huge relief because a call from the speech therapist, at 2:30 made it sound like Dad had pneumonia.

I stopped at CVS to get some bite-size Milky Ways. I was afraid Dad's last words to me would be, "You never brought me the Milky Ways." That would be a heavy guilt trip.

The speech therapist found Dad unwilling to do the swallow test today he had agreed to last week. It is a big jump from there to saying he needs a chest xray right away. Clearly, I need to learn the players in this sit-com.

So far, I am putting my faith in Penelope. I think she could jolly anybody out of a funk, even me.  She wears giant dangly earrings and does an endzone dance before she transfers Dad from his wheelchair to his bed. Dad can't understand everything she says, but she has his full attention.

So, I guess I'll go back to CVS to buy more Depends.  Dad's going to be around awhile.  He likes the White Rock Marathon volunteer shirt I brought him.  If he keeps getting up and looking perky I'll share my favorite DRC Half volunteer shirt!
Maybe tomorrow I'll hang the toy airplane.


© 2010 Nancy L. Ruder

4 comments:

Kim said...

Looking at that bag of Milky Ways I thought "Any Size Milky Way Bar is a fun size!"

Christine Thresh said...

He is a handsome man. I bet he looks really good with a smile on his face.

Kathleen said...

OMG, Milky Ways! I am in love with Penelope. OK, the local CVS guy came by our store to deliver leftover holiday bags of Hershey's kisses and mini-Reese's peanut butter cups. I can attest that all three holiday wrappings--red, green, and gold--produce equally delicious mini-Reese's peanut butter cups!

Collagemama said...

Sounds like a scientific study.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...