12/21/10

And now for something completely different

Last night during a big cooking attack, I looked at the acorn squash on the counter and it looked back.  Quick, to the internet! 

There are lots of squash soup recipes, and they call for butternut squash.  Ignore that.  Some had nutmeg.  One curry.  Ooh.  That would be a bold move.

So, my soup turned out quick, easy, mildly curry, very pretty.  It didn't make an enormous amount, which is good since I'm running out of freezer space.

2 T butter
1 stalk celery--chopped
2 cloves garlic--smashed & chopped
1 medium carrot--chopped
1 medium potato--peeled & cubed
1 acorn squash--peeled, seeded, and cubed
16 oz. container of broth (I used chicken, but veggie might be even better.)
16 oz. water
1/2 t Mexican saffron
1/4 t curry powder
1 sprinkle nutmeg
1 shake salt
1 sprinkle cayenne

Start with butter and celery in a big pot.  Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, while chopping.  Add the potato and carrot.  Normal people would add a small onion.

Use a serrated grapefruit spoon to get seeds out of squash!  So glad I brought those grapefruit spoons back from Dad's house.  Add in and cook another 5 minutes.

Add stock or broth and water.  Stir in seasonings.  Bring to a boil.  Cover and reduce heat to low.  Simmer half hour or so, until veggies are tender. 

Lift veggies out of pot into blender using a slotted spoon.  Add a bit of the liquid.  Blend on low speed until the consistency of applesauce.  Put back into pot and stir.

Never mind that it was in the seventies here.  This was a very wintery soup.


© 2010 Nancy L. Ruder

4 comments:

Kim said...

the 70s? The 70s? THE 70s??? I'm having temperature envy...it isn't even in the 70s inside my house.

Collagemama said...

It's supposed to be 78 today. I might have to turn on the a/c when I get home from work! Insane.

Kathleen said...

Oh, yum! I am not normal. Can I use green onions?

I need to get me a squash.

Collagemama said...

Maybe even as a garnish!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...