3/24/08

Tchaiko Psycho

After an inspiring performance by the Dallas Symphony Orchestra in about 2005, I bought a cd of Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5 in E Minor (George Szell conducting the Cleveland Orchestra). Driving along between Norman and Purcell, the music had the same powerful emotional effect and trivial tidbit distraction as usual.


The second movement, II--Andante cantabile, con alcuna licenza, is the culprit. The first few notes always derail my teeny-tiny narrow gauge mental railroad, and send it plummeting down a pine-scented mountain slope. Trouble is, that rich evergreen melody sounds a wee tad like John Denver's "Annie's Song". You might remember it as the "fill up my senses" song. Sing along:



You fill up my Buick like regular Chevron,

like Milk Duds in August,

like money down the drain,

like llamas in springtime,

and Old Spice at midnight,

you fill up my senses,

come fill me again.



What were the real lyrics? Between Norman and Purcell I lacked the internet, but I'm glad to provide these words:


You fill up my senses like a night in the forest,

like the mountains in springtime,

like a walk in the rain,

like a storm in the desert,

like a sleepy blue ocean.

You fill up my senses, come fill me again.



And so, I'm always relieved to get back on track for the third movement Valse. Not to be confused with valise--a small piece of hand luggage from the Medieval Latin!



© 2008 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...