3/12/08

Grocery do-overs and makeovers


I live in a hotly-contested battleground state for grocery store wars. Why Hillary and Barack didn't stake out positions in the fresh produce or international cheese displays to shake hands, give out tasty samples, and dispense buzzwords about a greener economy mystifies me. Why has neither candidate addressed the inconvenient obstacles impeding use of canvas totebags instead of plastic store bags in the self-check lanes?

My medium-size Albertsons is in the midst of a makeover. The aisles are widening, and the shelves are getting shorter. The effect is more airy and inviting than when I personally get shorter and wider. Kitty litter is losing display space to Australian wines. I like my smaller store, and appreciate not needing hiking boots as I do in the enormous natural/foodie/gourmet Central Market and Whole Foods stores. Plus, it's right on my way home from work. I [used to] know where everything is, so even a major buy is a fifteen minute experience.


My nearest Kroger just finished a designer restyling to entice more natural/foodie/gourmet shoppers. I'm a simple person. My idea of a grocery store perk is watching the mist machines in the fresh produce department while pretending I'm in the rainforest. A trip to Kroger takes a minimum of forty minutes.


I don't know why Michigan and Florida need to have primary do-overs. "Do-over" is such a playground word! Concentrating on the explanation gives me a headache. I need to put my head under the rainforest mist machine, along with all the other cabbage heads.


As a person living alone most of the time, a head of red cabbage is a long-term investment. I've made endless salads for my school lunches with purple color accents. Cooked pork and cabbage in the wok twice. Made a veggie crockpot soup. Enjoyed polska keilbasa with cabbage and caraway seeds. Took a lovely cobalt violet leaf for the class rabbit to nibble almost every day while pondering how to paint it.


© 2008 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...