3/23/08

Pointy Pontiff Ears

"Why are the kindergarten students wearing Pope hats," I asked Dad. We were driving to the drugstore just as the morning kids were being dismissed for the Easter spring break.




Something had gone wrong with the traditional bunny ears craft project, and the teacher has my complete sympathy. We never know when an art project will go just that little bit off course! It might just be a scissor's whisker's mistake in the cutting of pointy ears with those round-tip Fiskars.

I didn't have a student available, so my zebra hand puppet is modeling the mitre and bunny ears. The Eastridge kindergarten kids were parading proudly out of school wearing their bunny ears on sideways. I didn't have my camera, and certainly wouldn't have snapped a photo, but I sure wish I could capture that image.

That brings me to the vocabulary word for the today:

rotogravure
1913, from Ger. Rotogravur (originally, in full, Deutsche Tiefdrück Gesellschaft), said to blend two corporate names, Rotophot and Deutsche Photogravur A.G. Etymologically, the roots are L. rota "wheel, roller" and Fr. gravure "engraving." The process was used for printing photo sections of newpapers and magazines, so that the word came to be used for these.

I won't begin to try to define the terms for "papal headgear". It's a crossword clue that appears often, and the choices are usually mitre or tiara.

And now for the sing-along, brought to you by the makers of bright foil-covered chocolate eggs and pastel plastic grass:

"Easter Bonnet"

In your Easter bonnet, with all the frills upon it,

You'll be the grandest lady in the Easter Parade.

I'll be all in clover and when they look you over,

I'll be the proudest fellow in the Easter Parade.

On the avenue, Fifth Avenue,

the photographers will snap us,

And you'll find that you're in the rotogravure.

Oh, I could write a sonnet about your Easter bonnet,

And of the girl I'm taking to the Easter Parade.

Written by Irving Berlin

© 2008 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...