1/1/05

Family resemblance

"Who are those cowboys on the refrigerator?," my middle son asked. "I look so much like that guy in the middle."

That guy in the middle is Ben Kilpatrick, a member of the Wild Bunch. My son figured the cowboys were ancestors, not the Hole in the Wall Gang.

I always count Butch and the Kid as family even if they never write or send Christmas snapshots. I first met them at my grandparents' fiftieth wedding anniversary in McCook, Nebraska. They were showing downtown at the picture show about thirty-six years ago. An assortment of young cousins went to see them, and my life has never been the same. It is still my all-time favorite movie.

My middle son is much like Butch. He's affable and generous and just keeps thinking. My youngest son is Sundance, the handsome sharpshooter. My oldest is most like the "colorful" miner played by Percy Garris. For nearly thirty-five years I have imagined myself as Etta Place, even though lately I've been more likely to be cast as Ma Barker.

Someday when I'm rich I plan to visit Bolivia.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...