1/26/05

Can you hear me now?

Many of you know I recently spent a week in my hometown. My parents have lived in the same house for forty-seven years, so I went past my old elementary school several times. One time I suddenly had the memory of my first grade teacher, Mrs. Erickson saying, "Boys and girls, please put your hands in your laps so I know you are listening." How old-fashioned! How 1961! But try it. Putting your hands in your lap to listen is very effective, calming, focusing, and respectful. Try it listening to your teacher or your boss, your children or your parents, a storyteller or pastor, your own breathing, a piece of music, an approaching thunderstorm, or the squirrels chattering in the oak tree. Your experience will be enhanced. We are going to try it in art class from now on.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...