4/1/04

Hawaiian Barbie sticker

I didn't cry. I didn't squirm. I didn't have any cavities, either, so I hit up the dentist's receptionist for a magenta sticker Tuesday morning. Barbie was wearing a flowered top with spaghetti straps, and playing a pink guitar on the sticker. My female students were sooooooo envious. In my age group I would only get that kind of envious attention if I were dating Sting and could still walk in pointy-toed high heels without pain.

My female students prefer to sport two stickers after a doctor or dentist visit. They wear them like the Little Mermaid's seashells. They usually consider my fashion IQ as pink/ruffle-impaired. These are the young ladies who have inspired my alter-ego, Rainbow Sparkle. About once a year I don my rose-colored tie-dye shirt, my pink boa tiara with the cascade of opalescent ribbon curls, my lavendar eyeglasses, gather up my turquoise swirly magic wand and snowflake fairy dust glitter to dance my way through forests, meadows, and classrooms. The transformation to Rainbow Sparkle is so complete and astounding that my students are slack-jawed.

Across the gender aisle, I made a little guy's day when I found an "army green" paint shirt to coordinate with his camo pants....and then there was the kiddo who accessorized and personalized his wardrobe by putting blue Silly Putty in his pants pocket.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...