3/30/04

Ask Dr. Mom for her recipe

It's the pits being really sick on your own for the first time. I still remember it--shivering in my bunk in the dorm. Sliding woosily down the wall onto the floor in the art dept. bathroom. Trudging through knee-high snow drifts to take a Spanish final exam when I had mono.

Mike is sick. He writes:

I'm really sick. I think I have a cold, but it is not like a
stuffy nose, it hurts really bad to move my head. I also have a sore
throat. I've been really busy lately, studying for a test I took today.
I also had class all day long, and I just got done with lab. I need to
catch up on homework for tomorrow, and tomorrow I need to do a big
take home exam/project.

Dr. Mom says, "Take tylenol! Drink gallons of water! Hot tea! Hot Tang! Hot chicken boullion cubes. Sleep. Lots. Even when it's dark out! Suck zinc cold drops from Walgreens, or just plain lemon drops. Gargle with hot salt water. Sleep sitting up. Moan and sway."

I tried to make a hot "bed buddy". The real way is to get someone to buy a bag of rice for you. Pour the rice in a tube sock & tie a knot. Heat it in the microwave for two minutes, and drape it around your neck. My theory was that rolling up a towel and heating it in the microwave would do the same thing. Alas, you have not lived until you have smelled an over-nuked bath towel. It smelled almost as bad as the salmon cooking fire of two weeks ago.

Just moan and sway, and skip the nuked towel!

Love,
Nurse Nancy

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...