2/2/11

Yowling and howling

Day two of our Inclement Weather School Closing, so I knew I could sleep as late as I wanted.  Instead I woke before seven to a horrible howling.  Not the wind like yesterday.  Wolves?  Unlikely, as this isn't a Laura Ingalls Wilder book.  Not even Jack the brindle bulldog alerting me my elderly neighbor had fallen and could not get up. 

What was that horrible sound?  Tires unable to get traction on ice.  Somewhere a driver was seriously stuck.  By the time my way-back prairie memory kicked in, I was wide awake and needed coffee.  That's when the power went out.  Please don't make me twist cornstalks together for fuel like in The Long Winter.  Two days is a long enough winter for me, and my hands are already chapped.

© 2011 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...