2/23/11

Won't you be my darling?

Some weeks have seven Wednesdays.  Life is more Seussy than usual, so I need to rent a seven hump Wump.  Can I make a reservation online @ MrGump.com?

The three year old is singing to herself (at considerable volume) as she works:

Humping along in my little red wagon
Humping along in my little red wagon
Humping along in my little red wagon
Won'tcha be my darling?


She doesn't know any other verses.  She doesn't know any other connotations, thank heaven, as in "your sister's cocker spaniel kept humping the coffee table leg".

My sons learned a more mechanical version of the song:

Who's gonna fix my little red wagon?
One wheel's off and the axel's dragging
not to mention the blinker light from Hell.
Won'tcha pay the mechanic's bill?

My sister learned the song from her Australian preschool teacher who carried a bumpershoot on rainy days:


Chucking along in my little red wagon
Chucking along in my little red wagon
Chucking along in my little red wagon
... Won't you be my darling?

Efforts to track the expression "chucking along" ran off the rails. It is frequently used, sometimes instead of "chugging along".  We would like to hope that expression has more to do with railroad trains than brewskis.

The most common version of the children's song starts out:

Bumping up and down in my little red wagon...



Teaching an introductory clay lesson, my Hump Day morning was spent transforming lumps.  No time to stare at my reflection!  No time to be idle!  No time for a roll in ze hay or in ze red wagon!

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: You know, I'm a rather brilliant surgeon. Perhaps I can help you with that hump.
Igor: What hump?


© 2011 Nancy L. Ruder

2 comments:

Kim said...

I always loved the 7 hump wump AND Igor's sweet innocence of his hump, which as I recall changed sides from time to time? (I also particularly love the scene with Cloris Leachman backing up the stairs with her violin saying one syllable at a time...yes..he..vas..my...BOYFRIEND!!

Kathleen said...

Glad we're all still humping along...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...