10/27/07

Spidey trading cards

Much as I wanted to make arachnid cootie-catcher/fortune-tellers for my students and coworkers this Halloween, the project kept getting more ugly every time I stabbed at it. I have great digital photos of the spiders in the school garden, but my Adobe Photoshop Elements program has ghastly hiccups and burps that make photo editing an ordeal since I'm now using the Microsoft Vista operating system.

Going upstairs to water the jade plants, and hacking through the artifacts, USB cords, and archives of three grown sons, I was reminded of Topps baseball and Magic trading cards. The upstairs condo repository is a scary place, but has more potential for greatness than a pending presidential library at SMU. [The jade plants and Christmas cactus may or may not survive.]

The Halloween spider trading cards are ready to print and give to my students. My own kids learned bartering and negotiating skills, and concepts of abundance and scarcity, not to mention a few carnival midway cons by trading baseball cards with each other.



Oh what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practise to deceive!

Sir Walter Scott
© 2007 Nancy L. Ruder

1 comment:

Genevieve Netz said...

My kids made about a zillion of those "cootie catchers" when in grade school. They just called them "fortune tellers." The spider trading cards are a stroke of genius. Your students will love them. Seems to me they might be marketable.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...