10/10/07

How tall is a giraffe?

"Have you seen the giraffes in our garden?" The fourteen preschoolers looked at me with great expressions:

  • Four had wide smiles and giggles as they shook their heads no.
  • Two rolled their eyes to let me know I'm so crazy it's embarrassing.
  • Two did tough guy Tony Soprano imitations so I'll be too intimidated to question them further with or without a subpoena.
  • Four's eyes bugged out to ask, "You mean there are giraffes out there and nobody told me?" Of course that is the same look they have when I suggest they dry their hands with a paper towel.
  • Two held their arms up in the air and waved their hands because they have indeed seen the giraffes and want to tell me the saga of their personal experience.

Okay, most of the animals in our garden are much smaller. So how tall is a giraffe really? Fourteen to nineteen feet! How big is that in preschoolers?

Thank heaven for 12" floor tiles! The kids made a line, each one standing on their own tile. I flopped on the floor for another five feet. A tall mom volunteer stood at my head. We looked up and down the line. Nineteen feet is BIG!

What would you do if you were as tall as a giraffe? Most of the kids said they would eat leaves on trees. A few would watch rockets or talk to dinosaurs. One would be a pink giraffe princess. The answer that made my day was, "I would wear a black hat."

Sinatra sings Gershwin sings Giraffe:

The way you wear your hat...

© 2007 Nancy L. Ruder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...