10/9/07

Fair Day

Cultural differences can lead to confusion. There weren't any classes at my little school yesterday because it was "Fair Day".


When my eldest son started school I was surprised to find "Fair Day" on the school calendar, and a free State Fair admission in his take-home folder. Kids get off school to eat cotton candy??? I didn't get it. In my own school days, classes didn't start until the first Monday after Labor Day, after our state fair ended.


Our international families struggled to understand this strange Texas holiday:

  • Was the school having a fair? No.

  • Were we taking the children to a fair? No.

  • What time should the children arrive on Monday? Not until Tuesday!

  • What would teachers be doing? Sleeping late, eating bagels, and getting haircuts.

Many students arrived today with fresh new handsome haircuts. A few were sleeping late after a rough day on the Tilt-a-Whirl.



© 2007 Nancy L. Ruder

1 comment:

Genevieve Netz said...

I think Fair Day is a nice idea. My kids have never been to a State Fair. They were always in school.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...