7/19/05

Come Fly With Me: Reserve Your Armchair Now

Sinatra and Smetana color my mental travel brochures. Captain Kangaroo used to run a video of river photos with Smetana's "The Moldau" that made me proud to be of Bohemian ancestry. Another video with Grofe's "Grand Canyon Suite" might have ignited my interest in the American Southwest.

Fly me to the moon
Let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On a-Jupiter and Mars

Where would I travel if money was no object? An interesting evening's pondering, and well within my entertainment budget!


Not having been much of anywhere, this is where I would go if money and time were irrelevant:

Ashfall State Park in Nebraska

The whooping crane migration along the Platte River in Nebraska

The cliff dwelling sites of the Four Corners region. Got hooked on the Anasazi reading National Geographic story about Weatherill Mesa in 1966.

On a riverboat cruise up the Mississippi

New York City to see the art, theatre, dance, and opera, and look for sites in Donald Westlake’s Dortmunder books.

Crete and Santorini—I have wanted to visit the island ever since reading a juvenile nonfiction book from my local library in about 1966. Knossos, Minotaur, frescoes

Michoacan, Mexico to see where Monarch butterflies spend the winter.

Valley of the Kings in Egypt. Tut, Tut. My third grade teacher, Mrs. Alhschwede, was reading aloud to the class about Howard Carter when JFK was assassinated.

Botswana because of Alexander McCall Smith’s No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency books

A trip through the Ukraine, the Balkans, and Eastern Europe, especially Prague, Split, and Kiev

Krakatoa and Java because of The Twenty-One Balloons and one of the worst movies ever made

Australia, thanks to Bill Bryson

Boston because of Make Way For Ducklings

James Herriott’s England

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...