7/17/05

Bioluminescence

Playing with papers and shapes last weekend, a collage gradually emerged that sent me off in search of images of the bioluminescent creatures in the deepest parts of the oceans. Hadn't heard about the movie "Deep Blue" at that point. My "March of the Penguins" movie buddy knew we had to go see "Deep Blue", though. The cinematography is impressive, the soundtrack perfect, and the enormous cool wetness of the subject makes it an excellent escape from the hot Dallas afternoon for adults and teens.

Reviews of the movie clearly explained that Nature is a violent, gory, orca-eat-seal place. Mother Nature is concerned with survival of species, not the fate of individuals. While the movie is rated G, it is not appropriate for children. Still, there were many freaked youngsters in the theater, and someone is going to have to sit up with them when they have nightmares! The movie also requires an attention span not found in viewers addicted to massive doses of car chases, bathroom or bedroom humor, or blasting special effects. I noted, too, that watching all the water sent many more audience members out to the restrooms than any movie I've ever seen!

"Deep Blue's" footage of jellyfish and the bioluminescent life in the deep abysses is mind-blowingly beautiful. I couldn't wait to tell my photographer son with his interest in Dale Chihuly's glass art. The hay-bale swirling schools of fish are like underwater tornadoes. Night in the coral reef is far more terrifying than I ever imagined. My awareness of Earth's oceans is greatly enhanced, and I may even have a nightmare or two. Still, it is impossible to get emotionally involved in "Deep Blue", unlike "March of the Penguins".

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...