8/14/04

Uncharted Culinary Wilderness

After my Walmart safari it was time for food. Bumbled into the Range Cafe on Menaul. Alice does Wonderland! I just wanted food that wasn't real fast. What I found was a papier mache decor, a collection of toy ranges (think burners!) from the Fifties and Sixties, and a yummy "Hoosier sandwich" of chicken-fried pork tenderloin. I'll have to put Jeff on the case researching the history of Hoosier pork tenderloin sandwiches.

Jeff reports a tornado warning in Bloomington this week. His dorm, next to the Hoosier basketball coliseum, is made of solid limestone. He also wrote that he remembered watching a show about the Range Cafe on the Food Network. (This is a mind-boggling concept.) I am inspired to visit the original Range Cafe on Route 66 in Bernalillo. I had no idea I had wandered into culinary and cultural sacred ground!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...