8/31/04

Breath of change

One of the best parts of a regular routine lap-swimming is the focus on rhythmic breathing. Another is the sense of entering into a different environment. The water makes me more aware of my movements and muscles while eliminating all sorts of distractions. As I get deeper into a work-out, I find it takes great concentration just to keep count of the laps . I devise various patterns; four breaststroke; six alternating backstroke and breaststroke, four breaststroke; six alternating crawl and elementary backstroke... Letting go of the concentration required for counting and patterns in exchange for the total peace of breathing and muscle rhythms is seductive. Sunday's swim felt like I didn't even have a body. It seemed effortless and timeless. Fortunately, the impending disintegration of my swimsuit's spandex from all the chlorine kept me tethered to the mortal realm!

There is a similarity between swimming and backpacking/hiking. There is an expanding of the energy in the upper chest that is clarifying. I am more able to trust that energy and clarity with swimming, probably because there are fewer variables. Maybe it's because most of my backpacking experiences occurred in the context of a very dysfunctional marriage. I do know that putting on a backpack or daypack instantly changes my breathing, posture, stride/rhythm, and observation/awareness of my surroundings. I'm thinking I should put on an imaginary backpack every morning when I wake up.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...